Thursday, June 30, 2011

Old School Summer Albums

So I just recently lost my iPod (this is the fourth one I have gone through, this latest lose didn't even take me a year... sucks) and I have been somewhat forced to start revisiting all of my CD's and with summer time in the air I was drawn to all the old albums I used to listen to back in the day during this time of season.

Right now there are three albums that I'm obsessed with that kind of can be lumped into a Texas 90's country twinged grunge rock sub genre. I'm sure everybody is well aware of these albums and if your not then you need to hop on the train and get down with these tunes, cause each album is awesome from start to finish and in my opinion the best from each band. All three are definitely on my classics list. So here they are...

Butthole Surfers
Independent Worm Saloon



This album would be my soundtrack if the world was at an end and the only way to survive was too turn into a punk grow a Mohawk and surf all day long with a grenade launcher while high on LSD. Absolutely love this album. It's probably the grooviest and fastest album from BS and their first for a major label. Also it was produced by John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin so that right there makes it bad ass all by itself. Is it the best country grunge surf album of all time??...  For Sure!!



Tripping Daisy



This was totally my soundtrack back in 1995. I conned my parents into buying this album  for me that summer and I remember putting this on while trying to feebly kick around a sipa (Poser). Haha. I love the way Tim DeLaughter's voice sounds. He has this high pitched kinda twang going on. Easily one of the most recognizable voices out there and I feel like his singing style gets copied a lot with minimal credit back. This is the only album recorded with drummer Bryan Wakeland which is a shame cause the rhythm section is amazing and the beats / solidity on future Tripping Daisy albums could never quite compete with this.




Toadies



If you don't love this album or you haven't heard it yet you obviously have some sort of mental issue that should be dealt with immediately before you cause harm to yourself or others. A classic 90's album and it just simply rocks the casbah the whole time it is on. I think I probably listened to Rubberneck  everyday straight for close to a 120 days. That has to be some sort of record and I wish I had proof of this so I could call The Guinness Book and get put in there for the most weirdo obsessed Junior High aged Toadies fan ever. This is the only album with guitarist Darrel Herbert (I think there is a trend forming with these one time pairings). I remember as Junior High ended and High School dragged on waiting patiently for the new Toadies album to come and it never did then finally in 2001 the follow up was released and it was a sore sore disappointment. Track 8 "Tyler" should be on the list of greatest songs of all time (probably at #8).






There ya have it. Seriously do yourselves a favor and check these albums out or do some revisiting, you won't regret it. Maybe if you listen to them enough you'll want to move down to Texas and buy a flannel shirt, I know its definitely one of my goals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment