Friday, June 17, 2011

Cave In

White Silence



So I promised a review of the new Cave In album... not that anyone really gives a shit. But I figure since I promised I should write one.

Okay so I'm just gonna throw it out there. I think that Cave In gets a lot more props and respect then most bands because of where they came from and what they have been through. Which they should, I admire the band for being able to transition genres in the beginning from some serious and influential hardcore on Until Your Heart Stops to experimental space rock on Jupiter and the major label adventure Antenna, which kinda screwed them because when they turned in a heavier follow up to RCA they were dropped. But that is the reason that I respect them the most, they continue to write the music they want regardless of what everyone expects from them. Check the wiki for more of detailed history.

So all that being considered I really like the musical path the band has taken since leaving the majors and going back to Hydrahead. White Silence is a continuance of that path, the song structures are original and interesting and the vibe of the album does this kind of cool progression from being super heavy and screamed out to a more proged out psychedelic atmosphere towards the end (its like a hardcore version of Pink Floyd). The biggest indicator of the progression is the vocals which are all screams for the first two songs and slowly those screams morph into clean vocals until towards the end of the album the yelps hardly show up at all. It makes me wonder if the band was genius enough to have planned this or if it just happened by coincidence when they ordered the tracks... the world may never now.

But, the album is not as perfect and glorious as many a reviewer on the Internet is saying. I feel like listening through the album there are times when it is missing it's intensity and emotion. I was hoping for more shnazzier rhythms and a lot more bounce. So all that considered while the album doesn't tear my pants off and throw me in the sack it's still good enough to talk me into coming in for a night cap. It's definitely worth your ears and so far is the only heavy release besides Glassjaw's   Coloring Book worth listening to in 2011. The state of heavy music sucks this year... Lame

No comments:

Post a Comment